Locomotive #2

img

0-4-0 saddle tank locomotive #2 was built in 1920 by the H. K. Porter Company of Pittsburgh, PA. Locomotive #2 was acquired from the Colorado Fuel and Iron Company located in Birdsboro, Pennsylvania. This was the first operational locomotive when the new WK&S railroad opened for business in 1963. During the early years of operation #2 faced north. Around 1967 the locomotive was turned and now faces south. This "move" was accomplished with a piece of panel track and a bulldozer. On two occasions number 2 was the railroad's primary locomotive; once in 1963 and again in 1970-72. But mostly #2 served as backup to #250 and then to #65.

When 0-4-0 steam locomotive #2 arrived by truck at the WK&S back in the early 1963 it had no tender. Water is carried in the saddle tank above the boiler and the coal was simply carried on the floor of the cab. Obviously the locomotive's range was quite limited. In 1970 WK&S crews fabricated a coal tender starting with the four-wheel rolling chassis from a tiny Plymouth diesel-mechanical locomotive #146. The little switch engine was razed from the frame up and a tender body was fabricated in its place. With its homemade coal tender #2 could carry enough coal for the entire weekend. But by 2002 the tender would have required new side sheets so it was simply removed. In addition to replenishing the water supply, engine crews were once again faced with having to through a few wheelbarrows of coal in the cab after each trip to Wanamaker. Following the 2002 season #2 was replaced by engine #65. In 2005 the tender went to a railroad equipment collector in Geigertown, Pennsylvania. The tender was traded for a small crane that now resides between the two tracks in the shop building. There are no immediate plans to return #2 to service.

The tender wore three different paint schemes. Beginning in 1970 the tender was lettered "WK&S" with a thin stripe around the top and bottom of the body. In 1981 the Locomotive was done up to look like LNE #201. The tender was painted black with an LNE bullseye logo. Sometime thereafter the tender was painted with a WK&S Hawk Mountain Line logo which was how it remained when the tender left in 2005.

img

#2 laying over at Wanmaker. During the early days of WK&S operations, steam locomotives were stored and watered at Wanamaker.

img

A northbound train in the fields north of Steinsville. #2's saddle tank is painted green.

img

The picture above and the two above show #2 in the 1960s. The locomotive faces north and does not yet have its homemade coal tender. The picture above shows #2 in Kempton undergoing some running gear work.

img

This is one of several b&w postcard images captured after #2 was turned to face south, but before the tender wsa added. I believe the photos date from mid-summer 1970.

img

The picture above and the three below are from the early 1970's. #2 now has its tender and has been turned south. The above picture shows #2 about to depart Kempton.

img

#2 tied down on the mainline in Kempton.

img

#2 and train have departed Kempton and are on their way to Trexler. Trains were much larger back in those days. Sadly, the popularity of tourist railroads has declined.

img

Here's a shot of #2 taking water beside its train in Kempton. This picture is remarkable. That train consists of five heavyweights plus an open car plus a caboose. Little #2 would have to work its guts out to get that consist up through the woods north of Trexler.

img

Under repair in 1980.

In 1981 Porter #2 was painted up as Lehigh & New England #201. The event was partially sponsored by the Hawk Mountain Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society to commemorate the LNE's closing 20 years before. The real #201 was a Baldwin 0-4-0 saddle tank built in 1912. Number #201 (formally #5) was inherited after the LNE acquired the Crane Railroad Company in 1914. Aside from both being 0-4-0 saddle tanks, the Porter and Baldwin didn't much look alike.

img

There are pictures of a locomotive #201 at the WK&S. That's #2 temporarily re-lettered for a Lehigh & New England Day put on by the Hawk Mountain Chapter of the NRHS.

img

"LNE #201".

img

Fresh paint and good sun. September 1992. Photo by John Hartman.

img

The picture above and the two below are from the early 1990s and show #2 with its tender in service. The above photo is of #2 about to depart Kempton for Wanamaker.

img

Here #2 is running around the train at Wanamaker in preparation for the southbound return trip to Kempton.

img

Looking from the first coach in the train, we see the fireman shoveling coal into #2's firebox.

img

2002. Photo by James Perrine.

img

A close up of locomotive #2 about to couple to the train in preparation for a northbound trip to Wanamaker. Photo by James Perrine.

img

Number 2's tender was removed in 2002. In this shot the tender sits in front of #2.

img

Locomotive #2's tender stands alone after being removed in 2002. Photo by James Perrine.