Reading Combine #408

Reading combine #408 was built in 1923 by Harlan & Hollingsworth. This car could be found in the Reading "Iron Horse Ramble" trains of the 1950's and 1960's. The baggage compartment now contains tables and a piano so the car can be chartered for parties.

A shot of #408 from around 1970. The car was lettered WANAMAKER KEMPTON & SOUTHERN, named "HAWK MOUNTAIN CLUB" and run as an extra fare car. The car was also painted red (yikes!). As shown in the photo at the top of this page, the railroad's current policy is to letter coaches for their previous owner. And thankfully, the car was returned to its attractive Reading two-tone green.